Purée tamarind paste, coriander, turmeric, cayenne, candlenuts, shallots, garlic, lemongrass, galangal, and salt in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and add wings; toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap; chill overnight.
Transfer wings and marinade to a 6-qt. saucepan. Add coconut water and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook until chicken is cooked through, 40–45 minutes. Drain wings; pat dry using paper towels.
Wipe pan clean; heat 2″ oil until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350°. Working in batches, fry wings until browned and crisp, 1–2 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- 1 cup tamarind paste
- 1 tbsp. ground coriander
- 1 tbsp. ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 tsp. cayenne
- 10 candlenuts or unsalted macadamia nuts
- 6 small shallots, peeled
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 stalks lemongrass, white parts only, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 (2″) piece galangal or ginger, peeled and thinly sliced Kosher salt, to taste
- 3 lb. chicken wings, separated at the joint
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut water
- 2 bay leaves
- Peanut oil, for frying